NEW DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!
Saturday 10am until 4pm, and Sunday 10am until 4-5pm.
This course is an introduction to the art of millinery, this a 2-DAY COURSE and runs over a Saturday and Sunday.
Learn how to design and create your own made-to-measure hat :– steaming, stitching and wiring, and then trim it and wear it!
*This course offers the choice of making your hat from wioolfelt or parisisal straw.*
You can choose from a large selection of styles to make: you could make yourself a small brimless hat such as a smartie, pillbox or perching hat, or maybe a brimmed hat such as fedora, trilby, cloche etc....
There will be enough time to make a brimless hat with an elaborate trimming, or a brimmed hat with a simple hatband/trim.
*No experience required, but you will need some basic hand sewing skills ( running stitch, back stitch, slip stitch).
*If you have a weakness or impairment in the hands, wrists and/or arms you will probably find this workshop physically challenging - please ask for further information if this applies to you.
The workshop is held in our gallery at the studios with lots of space to be creative, surrounded by inspiring works of art.... and hats!
INCLUDED (tuition, materials and use of equipment):
Cost includes tuition and use of equipment, a woolfelt in a colour of your choice, wire, and petersham ribbon in the colour/s of your choice for the headfitting. Brimless hats include feathers to incorporate into a trimming, for brimmed hats peterhsam ribbon is included to make a simple hatband to complete your hat. You don’t need to bring anything!
ALSO INCLUDED (refreshments):
Activities are fuelled by a selection of teas/coffee, biscuits and cereal bars, which are freely available throughout both days.
* Feel free to bring along any fabrics or trimmings you may want to use, or you can purchase trimmings/feathers at the workshop.
* Feel free to bring any additional snacks/sandwiches with you.
** Your woolfelt will be ordered especially for you in advance of the workshop - so have a look at the woolfelt colour chart to choose the colour you want and write the colour in the NOTES box.
Colours marked with ** are not available for this course.
(If you have chosen to make your hat from parisisal straw - you will be emailed a colour chart after booking)
Upon booking - you will be emailed a Booking Confirmation, location map, and any other relevant details.
If you have any queries, please contact Sally
* All course places can be given as Christmas presents or gifts - simply request a gift card in the NOTES box and give us the name and email address of the recipient, and a gift card with all the details will be sent to you, to then give to the recipient.
BEGINNER'S MILLINERY - FELT or STRAW HATS
- All workshops and courses require full payment in advance to confirm your place.
- We understand that sometimes circumstances can change, if you need to change a booking- we will try to be as flexible as we can in rescheduling your booking to another workshop date, subject to availability.
- Due to the very limited number of places available at our workshops at the studio, cancellations MUST be made a minimum of at least 72 hours in advance, cancellations made more than 72 hours in advance will receive a full refund.
If cancellations are made less than 72 hours before the workshop, you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Of course, if you're unable to attend, we are happy for you to send a friend or colleague in your place, just let us know their name, phone number and email address in advance of the workshop.
- No refunds can be given for failed attendance due to holidays, personal sickness or external circumstances, but we are happy to reschedule your booking to another date – should you fail to attend on the new scheduled date – no refund will be given.
- In the unlikely event we have to cancel or postpone a workshop due to unavoidable circumstances or if we are unable to meet the minimum number of participants needed to run the workshop, we will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible. We will happily refund the full workshop fee or transfer your booking to another workshop of the same price, space permitting. However, we cannot accept responsibility for any other costs or expenses you may incur.
All guests must make sure that their contact information is correct at the time of booking as we are not be responsible if you do not receive information sent to you as a result of incorrect contact details given at the time of booking.
**All items made at our workshops are intended for personal use only and not for any kind of commercial use or re-sale.
We look forward to welcoming you to our workshops and would like to draw your attention to the following measure we have in place to keep you and us safe:
All participants to our workshops and courses must wear a face mask or face covering. Sally will also be wearing a face covering.
You will be asked to wash your hands before commencing the workshop, as will Sally.
If you, or someone else in your household, or someone you have been in contact with, has any Covid symptoms or has been told to self-isolate - do not attend the workshop.
Our workshops are being held in our 2nd floor gallery space - which is a large space with plenty of room for 2 metre social distancing. Everyone will work at a seperate table 2 metres from the next person. Sally will also be maintaing a 2 metre distance from each participant.
Each workshop will have a maximum of 4 participants until further notice.
Your table and tools will be cleaned before your arrival and we will be asking everyone not to share tools, or touch materials that they do not intend to use.
There are hand santiser stations inside the front door of the building, on each corridor, in every toilet cubicle and every kitchen, and you are encouraged to use these regularly.
Hand santiser will also be available readily available at, and during, the workshop.